Sunday 13 April 2014

Nepal in London

Sometimes I love people.... I think I always love Nepalese people.... I went to this gardening session in Abbey Wood the other day and met all these incredible bad-ass Nepalese women. They were so beautiful and fierce, with so much love to share and wisdom to impart. You wouldn't believe how surprised and happy I was when I learnt they understood Hindi and so we spoke and they called me sister and I felt like I was their sister. In their bright clothes and with their golden attitudes- the way they said garme, and bhajee, the way they smiled and laughed in the poly tunnel! To find Nepal in London, to recreate home when home is so far away, that's what Tooku Maya Gurun said, a fiery widow with a cannabis leaf sewn onto her hat. Tooku has a matchless sense of humour. And as they left they said, it was a joy to meet you and they hugged me, one by one... I felt it....

How beautiful to be able to connect with people, to share a language, to share words, to understand....what a great gift- to be able to understand. Hira told me to stay away from baadmaashes, 'scoundrals' that take drugs and disco! She said most men are badmaashes and I agreed. She reminded of my mum and my elders back in Lahore. Lahore... London.... Katmandu... it's a funny ole world...
For more photos: https://www.facebook.com/GroundworkLondon