Saturday 18 January 2014

The Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2013

I went to see this exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery the other day, the exhibition featured some really stunning works that really captured the stories behind the portraits! I love portraits. I love photographing people. It's something that I first seriously explored and experimented with in Lahore, and have since tried to keep up with in London. 
-a few portraits I've taken, for more see stargazing in lahore and this blog-

It's incredibly challenging asking someone, in particular a stranger you've only just met, if you can take their photograph. And when they do agree, for me it's even harder to direct the picture. I'm very conscious of the other person and the last think I want to do, is make them feel awkward or exposed. I feel like I've improved quite a bit over the years but still have a long way to go!

And so it was really inspiring seeing these diverse people pictures in the exhibition! The cost to visit is very reasonable at £3 entry, I'd recommend checking it out. I've included some info below together with my favourite picture in the exhibition Fishermen by Jaime Travezan.

The Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2013 is a unique opportunity to see sixty new portraits by some of the most exciting contemporary photographers from around the world.

Through editorial, advertising and fine art prints, the exhibition explores a range of themes, styles and approaches to the photographic portrait, from formal commissioned images of famous faces to more spontaneous and intimate moments capturing friends and family.

This year the competition attracted 5,410 submissions by 2,435 photographers ranging from gifted amateurs and talented students to established professionals. The selected works in the exhibition, many of which are on display for the first time, include the four prize winners and the winner of the John Kobal New Work Award.