Friday 10 June 2011

Attracting Wildlife: Ponds

After watching Springwatch last night, I thought it might be a cool idea to make my own pond. Last time I attempted to make one was when I was about 12. I dug this massive hole in the garden and lined it with bricks and plastic before filling it with water. Unfortunately it didn't work out. The water kept seeping out and the frogs kept getting stuck. This time I went for a more minimalist approach!  


Update 14/06/11
I've been monitoring the pond for a few days and alas have found nothing! So today I decided to try making another pond. It took a lot of work! First I had to clear an area with sufficient shelter, then I lined the edges with bricks and layered the inside with cement. After it dries I'm hoping to line it with plastic and cover the bottom in sand, rocks and maybe a few plants. Here's how its looking right now: